Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Baked Chimichangas

 The Chimichanga

 
 


 

chim-ee-chahng-guh;
a crisp, often deep-fried tortilla containing a spicy filling of pork, chicken, etc.,  
usually served as an appetizer with sour cream, green chili sauce, melted cheese, etc.
 
If your like me, I try to AVOID crispy dishes at Mexican restaurants. Normally, "crispy" anything when your at a restaurant means FRIED! I just always order something that doesn't sound crispy.... 'cause I know I'm going to get plenty of crispy in the basket of chips right in front of me :). I really do like chimichangas though!  
 
Occasionally I feel creative when it is time to cook dinner, and this night I did...
 
 ...And I wanted Mexican food.

First, I made the filling with shredded chicken (boiled in microwave, and shredded with forks), onions, salt, a bit of sour cream, and some orange and yellow bell peppers. 

Saute the onions and peppers together with some cumin (a couple sprinkles worth), when soft, mix the sour cream, chicken, onion and pepper, and salt in bowl. 

This time, I used store bought tortillas; Lately, I have been making my own. Fill your tortillas like a burrito with the chicken mixture and then throw some shredded cheese on before rolling it up. Place seam side down on your baking dish. 

Spray with some cooking spray and pop in the oven at 400 degrees for a few minutes. I really don't remember how long I baked them! I am kinda bad about just throwing stuff together and not paying attention to times and measuring. Basically, check them after 5 minutes to see if they are crispy. I was amazed at how crispy and light these turned out. I have tried brushing oil on, and had okay results... but spraying some cooking oil on the top really made a difference.


I added a salad like we would get in the restaurant. Shredded lettuce, tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream, and added some shredded cheese. The simple salad REALLY made me feel like I was at a restaurant!!
 




MMMMMMMM....... I think I'm going to make these tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment