Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Amish White Bread



Okay,  I would LOVE to be one of those people who rarely go to the grocery store for food staples because said person makes or grows needed items at home. Well, let's just say, I'm working on it. Gardening is in my future this spring, and as for the winter; baking is always fun! So while at the food mart for my weekly food shopping, I didn't buy one loaf of bread... not one! I said to myself rather proudly (actually while I was making my food mart list) that I would make our own bread this week. :)

I have made wheat bread before, and knowing it is very dense, and does not rise very well, I knew I would make a white/wheat flour bread, and also try a white flour only bread. My wheat bread did as expected- dense and not big and fluffy. I didn't add enough white flour I suppose.

However, the white bread turned out rather nice! It actually reminded us of white bread from Subway. As I was making this bread, I realized I still haven't found my bread pan from the move, so I made hoagie rolls. Here is the recipe I used.


Amish White Bread:


2 cups warm water
2/3 cup white sugar (First try, this was WAY too much sugar. Next time I'll use about 1/3 a cup)
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour


Dissolve sugar in the warm water. Stir in yeast and let sit until a foamy layer appears. Then add salt and oil. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead ten minutes then put in your bowl that has been prepared with Pam or oil. (so the bread wont get stuck to the bowl). Let the dough double in size. When doubled, punch it down, shape into loaves, or hoagie rolls, let rise another hour or so until double again. 

I baked my rolls at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. A loaf would take 5- 10 minutes longer.

There ya have it! This makes great sandwich bread. Soft, not too dense, fluffy... etc. 



I decided to make shredded chicken sandwiches out of our hoagie rolls. A little sauteed mushroom and onion, chicken, slice of cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment