Monday, February 3, 2014

Baby Food Pouches


GERBER® Organic 2ND FOODS® Purees – Apples, Blueberries & Spinach



These convenient little pouches filled with yummy, supposedly 'healthy', pureed fruits and veggies can be expensive. I mean down right expensive! Micah can suck one down in 15 seconds flat... then I'm like what now?  Oh, here have some crackers...

I made Lyla's baby food, I just hadn't felt like doing it with Micah since we were in my parents house for most of his first year; so these things were awesome. But, I had to limit myself to one a day since they are around $2 each, for an organic brand.

I have thought several times to myself... I wish there were a pouch I could use and refill over and over. And then my incredible sister-n-law's blog had a post about nothing less than re-usable pouches!!! YES! I immediately bought some of the least expensive pouches reviewed.

Here is a link to that review. So helpful!
http://thricethespice.blogspot.com/2014/01/baby-and-big-kid-pouch-review.html

 As soon as my pouches came in I started planning! And after some research, came up with some tasty recipes for our very own, homemade, in-expensive food pouches!


I used my Magic Bullet to puree all the goods. I steamed in the microwave the carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, and squash. All separately of course ;)






Above is sweet potato, apple sauce, and cinnamon.

 I just portioned it to where I thought it would be a good consistency, not too thick, not too smooth.






When we used to buy the ready made pouches at the store, Micah seemed to enjoy the spinach pear mix. So I made my own version.

Spinach, steamed pear, and a bit of applesauce.







I had never bought a savory food pouch at the store, mainly because they were $3.00 and up. And if he didn't like it, well too bad for me I guess. However, since the homemade version only costs around $0.30 cents I decided to try one.

Avocado, steamed squash, steamed sweet potato, and spinach.

He didn't turn it down, but it wasn't gone in 15 seconds either. After a few tries, I believe he will like it!







Steamed sweet potato, steamed carrots, and steamed pear.







Steamed carrots and pineapple.







Apple sauce, steamed sweet potatoes, and pineapple.






 And then I made some strawberry applesauce for Lyla. She was very interested in it all and was pleased to have her own. :)

Just a few frozen strawberries, and applesauce. 

Also, I made sure and bought No sugar added applesauce.

Hope this gives you some inspiration for your own baby food!




3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! He will enjoy the Homemade and it will be so much better for him... Thanks for being such a caring and loving Mom... Love ya'll so much.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete